Going For Gold: Extra Innings
United States Line Up Predictions
1. Jimmy Rollins – SS – I wish they had a better option here that has a higher batting average. I’d love to have Rollins hit in the 9 spot.
2. Brandon Phillips – 2nd – typically hits 4th for the Reds but he does have a wide range of assets so he can also hit in the 2 hole. Good fastball hitter and will get a lot of fastballs if Rollins gets on to try to keep him from stealing.
3. Ryan Braun – LF – Probably the best all-around player on the team, can hit for average with power and he also has speed.
4. Giancarlo Stanton – RF – the best pure power on the team, Rod Allen would describe him as Country Strong, will be a nice option to protect Braun.
5. David Wright – 3rd – A very good hitter, could be a number 3 hitter also but I like Braun power and average better and then Stanton’s power in the 4 hole.
6. Mark Teixeira – DH – his injury during last year might move him to the DH spot even though he is a better defensive player than Zobrist.
7. Adam Jones – CF – Could potentially be put into the 1 spot with his speed but he hasn’t hit there in a few years and he did not perform as well there.
8. Joe Mauer – C – arguably the best pure hitter on the team but a lack of power moves him back to the 8th hole.
9. Ben Zobrist – 1st – has a very good on base percentage and also the pop to hit 20 home runs in a year; if Teixeira is healthy I could see Zobrist playing RF and Stanton as the DH
Mauer could also see a lot of DH time too to give him rests and Laury or Arencibia involved in the game plans. Bloomquist will be optional at LF, 3rd and SS for the team and would probably hit in the lead off or 9 hole. I would have loved to see Michael Bourn on this team in centerfield and hitting lead off and have Rollins hit in the 9 hole.
If you missed any of the other Going For Gold’s make sure you read them. Feel free to comment and input your ideas I enjoy hearing what other people opinions are.